Where to Ask for Help When Diagnosed with Work-Related Sickness

Work Related SicknessWork-related sickness has long been in recognition, with certain agencies set up to help those who have this kind of problem. If you have a recent diagnosis about a work-related disease, here is where you can go for help.

United States Department of Labor, EEOICPA

The Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act or EEOICPA was in full effect in the year 2000 and provides help for those who have work-related illnesses as defined by the law.

An EEOICPA Part E benefit details compensation for wage loss and impairment benefits with a variable receivable of up to $250,000 depending on several factors. They even offer survivor benefits.

Company You Work For

Companies today recognize the possibility of work-related illnesses and obtain insurance coverage accordingly. Hence, you might find that leaving work due to health problems arising from that same job will give you the right to claim compensation in addition to separation pay.

Consult your company’s human resources along with a physician’s certification that the illness is likely due to your work.

Personal Insurance Company

You can also seek help from your personal insurance company if their coverage provides for work-related illnesses. The amount paid will depend on the policy you hold.

State Labor Department through State Laws

While the EEOICPA is concerned with the United States as a whole, you will find that some States have their own laws regarding compensation for work-related illnesses. Consult the department of labor for your particular state through their website and see what kind of benefit is available to you.

Work-related diseases, also known as industrial diseases, are widely recognized and, thus, anticipated by many companies and the government. Bear in mind, however, that the definition of “work-related illness” may vary, thus the need to prove that your illness truly results from work activities.

Exposure to toxic substances in the course of work is perhaps one of the most common examples of this coverage.